Washington Square Playground
Completed and Open to the Public January 2019!
The renovation of Washington Square Playground is part of Let’sPlaySF!, a partnership between the Recreation and Park Department and the San Francisco Parks Alliance that seeks to inspire creativity and play throughout the City.
In the coming years, 13 playgrounds prioritized for improvement by a citizen task force will be reimagined and redesigned for this and future generations of San Francisco’s children. The Washington Square Playground Renovation will create an entirely new children’s play area for the community, and is the first of the 13 Let’sPlaySF! playgrounds to be renovated around the City.
Scope of Work
The scope of work for the project included the following:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) site and playground accessibility upgrades
- Improved paving and drainage systems, planting and irrigation
- New perimeter wall and playful art elements
- New play equipment featuring:
- Babble Drum
- Balancing Disks
- Monkey Bars
- Nest Swing
- A Red-Masked Parrot
- Sculptural Play Elements
- A Slide
- Tot Swings
- A Tunnel
- New safety surfacing throughout play area with undulating topography
- Removal of Filbert Street stairway to provide a safer naturally contained space
Get Out and Play!
You can also explore Rec and Park volunteer opportunities – We have park needs in every corner of the city and volunteer opportunities that are as diverse as your interests, skills, and abilities. Have fun in your parks, and get out and play!