Japantown Peace Plaza Expansion Joint Replacement
The Peace Plaza will undergo minor construction for the next 2-3 months. The entrance way into the Mall, plaza, and permitted outdoor events will remain OPEN and ACCESSIBLE to the public during construction. Occasionally there will be REDUCE ACCESS to edges of the plaza during construction.
Construction Work Schedule:
- West Mall (RED Outlined Area) will begin on November 3rd.
- East Mall (BLUE Outlined Area) will begin in December 2020; dates are subject to change.
ADA access throughout the plaza will be provided with signage and marked detours as needed.
Thank you for your patience and continued support of businesses throughout construction.
What is happening at the Peace Plaza? Why is this work needed?
- The edges of the plaza have some water leakage that affects the parking garage below.
- This construction seeks to replace the waterproofing material along the expansion joints, which connect the malls and the plaza together.
- This is preliminary work that comes before the larger Peace Plaza renovation project that is being led by Mike Degregorio, RPD Capital Project Manager; the funding for this project is separate from the 2020 bond.
How and when will this work impact access at the Peace Plaza?
- The work is relatively low impact; it is an infrastructure maintenance task, not a new park nor renovation.
- Construction will commence begin 11/3 and proceed through 12/28, dates are subject to change.
- Work on the West Mall will run the month of November, 2020 and work on the East Mall will occur in December, 2020; dates are subject to change.
- Construction work hours are typically 7:30 AM to 4:30 PM; for specific areas like mall entrances and ADA ramps, work hours will start and end earlier in the day to mitigate disruptions during business hours.
- As dates change and specific closures are scheduled, information will be shared with the community and on-site with signage.
Who will be affected by this work?
- ADA access throughout the plaza will be provided with signage and marked detours as needed; the goal is to maximize ADA access throughout the duration of the project.
- The two primary groups affected will be: 1) regular park users, as the edges of the plaza will be fenced off and a ramp down to Geary will be closed for a few hours on a couple days, and 2) the businesses in the malls, as the work will temporarily limit (but not close) access through the main doorways off the plaza.
- Construction will fully coincide with “Picnic on the Plaza” and “Restaurants on the Plaza”, or any other permitted events.
- The area of disturbance be localized to either side of the plaza only one portion at a time; construction crews will minimize fenced and screened work areas as much as possible, minimizing impacts on all typical public use and permitted events.
- Access throughout the SFMTA parking garage below the Peace Plaza will not be affected.
For more information contact:
Omar Davis, Project Manager
Phone: (628) 652-6644