Bayview Safety Swim & Splash
The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department and YMCA of San Francisco are partnering to provide FREE learn-to-swim programs for youth in the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood. Please join us for water safety instruction and swim lessons at MLK Pool beginning in April 2022.
Participants must live or attend school in the 94124 ZIP code area.
For more information and to get on the wait list for fall programming, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the India Basin Waterfront Park Initiative
Together the Bayview-Hunters Point (BVHP) community, A. Philip Randolph Institute, The Trust for Public Land, San Francisco Parks Alliance, and San Francisco Recreation and Parks endeavor to build a park that is both spectacular and crucial to the health of the city's southeast communities, which have been historically underserved.
As the most significant park investment in San Francisco's history, India Basin Waterfront Park will transform three dilapidated and underperforming spaces at 700 Innes, 900 Innes, and India Basin Shoreline Park into a contiguous 1.7-mile, 64-acre network of open space in the basin.
Guided by a community-led vision rooted in equitable development, this initiative will close a critical gap in the San Francisco Bay Trail, enabling safe and healthy waterfront access and serve as a cultural anchor for community-driven recreation and programming opportunities.
For more information, please visit the India Basin project website.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will there be lifeguards onsite?
- Yes, there will always be multiple lifeguards onsite during swim instruction.
- How many swim instructors will there be per group?
- 6 swimmers per 1 instructor
- Who will be onsite to ensure youth are safely and securely changing?
- RPD will have locker room attendants onsite and additionally staff from your child’s after school program will be onsite to ensure youth are able to change.
- Will there be locker room and bathroom monitors to ensure youth can move to those spaces when needed?
- Yes, there will be bathroom monitors to ensure youth can access the restroom or locker room at any time.
- Can I observe my child when they are swimming?
- Yes. We have a seating area for parents and guardians to observe the class if they desire.
- Can I get in the pool with my child?
- Not at this time, but you may sit in the bleacher area and observe the class.
- Do I need to provide my child with swim equipment, towels, etc.?
- Yes, please provide your child with appropriate swimwear (swimsuit/shorts, swim goggles, swim cap) and a towel for the first lesson. We will also provide swimsuits and goggles onsite for students that need them. The items provided should be brought back for each lesson.
- Will transportation be provided?
- No, transportation will not be provided unless otherwise noted by your after school program staff.
- Can I pick my child up from the pool after they complete the lesson?
- Yes. If your child is coming from an after school program, they will communicate with you directly about pick up procedures. If you are a community participant, you are welcome to pick your student up after each lesson.
- Can younger/older siblings of my child participate in this program?
- If siblings are in grades K – 8th they may also sign up to participate in this program although it may not be possible to have siblings do lessons together.
- What ages/grades can participate in this program?
- Youth in grades K – 8th currently.
- Will food or snacks be provided?
- We are currently not providing food to students at the pool.
- If my child is feeling sick/ill can they still participate? (covid related & not covid related)
- No. If your child is feeling ill, or has recently tested positive for COVID, please do not attend the swim lessons.
- What are some of the things you should consider before getting into the pool?
- Please rinse off in the shower and use the toilet before entering the pool.
- Is there an attendance requirement?
- Yes. Youth will only gain the necessary skills to swim safely by attending all of their scheduled lessons. If students miss 3 or more classes without communication to program staff, we may drop them from the current session of Bayview Safety Swim & Splash.
- Who should I contact if I have more questions?
- You can contact your after school program staff if your child is attending as a part of that or call 415-831-6800.