Stern Grove Clubhouse
Due to severe damage sustained by a fallen 85-foot eucalyptus tree in March of 2023, the Clubhouse is currently closed. We are not accepting reservations at this time. Future availability will be posted here once more information on the repair work and a re-opening date has been determined.
The Stern Grove Clubhouse (Trocadero) has been designated by the Board of Supervisors as a San Francisco Designated Landmark. Built in 1892, it boast a colorful history as a roadhouse at the turn of the 20th century, when it offered dancing and gambling at roulette tables.
It is architecturally and historically significant as an example of Stick-Eastlake architectural style and as the city’s last intact example of a 19th Century roadhouse. It was renovated in 1986 due to extensive use and weathering.
Today, the Clubhouse may be reserved for weddings/receptions, family celebrations, and company functions.
|Day/Time||Reservation Fee||Hourly Rate (Minimum 6 Hours||Outside Surrounding Area: Additional Fee||Staff Salary Per Hour (Minimum 6 Hours)|
|Monday to Friday (Daytime: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)||$50||$175||$200||$26|
|Monday to Thursday (Evening: 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.)||$50||$175||$200||$26|
|Friday to Sunday (Evening 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.)||$150||$204||$200||$26|
|Saturday to Sunday (Daytime:10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)||$150||$204||$200||$26|
|Legal Holidays: (Daytime:10 a.m. to 4 p.m.) or (Evening: 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.)||$150||$204||$200||$26|
- Capacity: Maximum 120 sit-down; 140 standing room only
- The fee for the outside surrounding area is $200. However, additional impact fees may be applied depending on event setup. Additional fee information can be found here.
- Stern Grove Clubhouse has a caterer’s kitchen for the permittee’s use. This includes a prep counter, warming ovens, and a refrigerator. There is no stove or oven at this facility.
- Permittee must obtain a California State Licensed and Insured/Bonded Security Firm/Company. A copy of the contract must be sent to the Permits and Reservations office to be put on file six months prior to the event.
- Important: All weekend evening rentals (Friday, Saturday and Sunday) require a security guard from 5 p.m. until half an hour past the event time.
- A Performance Bond of $750 (separate check from rental fee) in the form of a cashier’s check or money order, payable to San Francisco Recreation and Park Department is required for every reservation. The performance bond will be returned if the reserved area is left clean and undamaged following the event.
HOW TO RESERVE
Reservations can be made up to one year in advance of the event date. If multiple applications are received for the same date, the reservation will be awarded through a randomized lottery system. Only Please email RPDReservations@sfgov.org or call 415-831-5500 for more information and inquiries.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve and New Years are not reservable. In addition, certain weekends over the summer are reserved in advance for the Stern Grove Music Festival and October 25 through November 1, 2021 are reserved for San Francisco Recreation and Park Department Scare Grove event.
The Stern Grove Clubhouse will be closed from December 24 through January 31 for yearly maintenance.
Viewings of the Clubhouse are not available at this time.
- A 20% (non -refundable deposit) of the total Rental Fee is due five business days from the date the reservation was made.
- Remaining Balance, Performance Bond and Staff Salary is due six months prior to event.
- If request for reservation is two months to six months prior to the event date, full payment and performance bond, candle permits, security contract and staff salary is due five business days from the date the reservation was made.
Note: All fees are subject to change
- Cancellations must be phoned in. The Permits and Reservation Office must receive a written letter confirming cancellation within five business days after the phone in cancellation.
- Cancellations made prior to three months before the event will receive 50% of the Remaining Balance that was paid.
- Cancellations made three months or less before the event will receive no refund.
- Staff Salary (Stern Grove) will be fully refunded in case of cancellation.