GGP - Strawberry Hill Picnic Area
Park Picnic Area Information
The 12-acre doughnut-shaped Stow Lake surrounds Strawberry Hill Island, a wooded hill named for the wild strawberries that once flourished on its flanks. Trails follow the shoreline and climb to the hill’s summit, the highest point in Golden Gate Park (GGP) at more than 400 feet. You can still catch glimpses of the city through the thick groves of trees
Stow Lake Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
Strawberry Hill is located at the summit of the island in Stow Lake. Take MLK Drive and turn left onto Stow Lake Drive. Once you park you will have to hike up the various trails that lead to the summit. On Saturdays (April to September) and Sundays (year-round), no cars are allowed on JFK Drive; access is only from MLK Drive.
Picnic & Party Features
- There are two 12-foot tables available for reservation. BBQ grills are not provided at Strawberry Hill, but you are welcome to bring your own small gas grill.
- There are no restrooms located at the picnic site. The closest restrooms are located at the Stow Lake Boathouse at the bottom of the north side of the lake.
- Cheers! Beer and wine are welcome at Pioneer East Meadow, but kegs and liquor are not. Remember: carrying open alcoholic beverages outside the picnic area is never permitted.
- Inflatable play structures (jumpy houses) are not permitted
Reservable Picnic Areas
Yes; 2 12-foot tables reservable from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Yes - Lot Available (Limited Availability)
Additional Park Picnic Area Information
- Alcohol: Yes; Beer and Wine Only; No Glass/No Liquor
- BBQ Allowed: Not Provided - Bring Your Own Gas Grill
- Jumpers Allowed: Not Allowed
- Restrooms: No
View the Picnic Area Map page to see a map of the area.
Reservation Fees & Details
View our Picnic and Impact Fees