- Permits & Reservations
- Picnic Rentals
SPECIAL COVID 19 PICNIC PERMITS
Small Outdoor Gathering Reservations at Picnic Sites
The most recent Health Orders allow small outdoor gatherings as follows:
- Social Gatherings of up to 12 people if the group observes social distancing requirements of remaining at least 6 feet apart and wearing masks, or
- Meal Gatherings of up to 6 people where social distancing is strongly recommended.
- Gatherings of no longer than two hours (you are able to reserve one site from either 10am-12pm, 1-3pm, or 4-6pm).
- Permit holders are responsible for to ensuring that the picnic tables are sanitized before and after use.
- Food and utensils cannot be shared with anyone outside one’s household.
- Built-in shared BBQs at ALL our picnic sites are currently closed and may not be used per Public Health orders.
You can book a picnic reservation online through the Picnic Area Directory. Alternatively, you can call us at 415-831-5500, Monday-Friday from 10am-2pm, with the exception of holidays. As the public health crisis continues to evolve, we are only able to process reservations three weeks in advance of your event date. Please email questions to RPDReservations@sfgov.org.
We offer picnic sites with a variety of different amenities. Multiple sites include barbecue grills and tables perfect for birthday parties and social gatherings while larger open spaced sites can appeal to larger groups and special activities like a jumper-house or kickball. Picnic areas are available in Golden Gate Park, John McLaren Park and in Neighborhood Parks.
How to Apply for a Picnic Permit
Review the website’s menu of park locations under the Picnic Directory or Destination Map to discover important details and availability of each site. Once you’ve found the perfect location for your event, contact our office by calling 415-831-5500, or by visiting our Permits Office at the Pioneer Log Cabin, 1 Stow Lake Drive in Golden Gate Park, during office hours. We’re open Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with the exception of Thursdays, when we’re closed from 12:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
When to Reserve
Reservations for the month of January through Saturday, February, 29, 2020 begin Wednesday, November 13, 2019.
Reservations starting Sunday, March 1, 2020 begin Wednesday, January 29, 2020, provided that you may not book more than six months in advance. If you require reservations further in advance, please visit our page on Special Events.
Site availability may vary and we do book up quickly so please plan to reserve a site early!
Picnic and Impact Fees
Picnics of 100 or more need to complete a Large Picnic Application Form (you might want to contact us first to confirm availability).
Dolores Park Picnic applications must complete an online application or call 415-831-5500.
Cancellations & Changes
Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 10 business days prior to the event date and will be subject to a fee of the higher of $28 or 20% of the reservation fee. For refunds (as opposed to a credit to your San Francisco Recreation and Parks Department (SFRPD) account), there will be a refund fee of the higher of $14 or 20% of the refund amount. There are no changes or cancellations within 10 business days of the event date.
Special events are handled by a different area of our office and require a different form to be completed. Any event doing any of the following is considered a special event:
- Advertising that it is open to the public
- Amplified sound
- Needing to confirm date/time/location more than 6 months in advance
- Requiring special set ups of stages, tents, barricades fences or other items
- Selling food, alcohol or merchandise
- Selling tickets
If you will have one of these, then please complete a Special Event Application.