GGP - Pioneer Log Cabin Picnic Area
Due to road closures in the park, many streets surrounding this site are barricaded, and vehicles are NOT allowed on those streets, not even to unload or load equipment. Any inflatables must be hand-carted into the site.
Park Picnic Area Information
The expansive field of the Pioneer Log Cabin picnic area is framed at the back by tall trees and nested up against the picturesque Pioneer Log Cabin, making it one of the prettiest gathering spots in all of Golden Gate Park. The Pioneer Log Cabin’s grass, tables and grills offer the perfect San Francisco lawn party spot - book it today!
John F. Kennedy (JFK) and Stow Lake Drive
San Francisco, CA 94118
Pioneer Log Cabin picnic area is on the south side of Stow Lake Drive, just after it splits off from JFK Drive. There is no sign marking the Pioneer Log Cabin, though the neighboring building is marked and visible from the street. On Saturdays (April to September) and Sundays (year-round), no cars are allowed on JFK Drive.
Picnic & Party Features
- Pioneer Log Cabin includes four picnic tables and two BBQs, all set together at the back of the grass.
- Restrooms are located directly across the street at the 14th Avenue East picnic site or at Stow Lake.
- Cheers! Beer and wine are welcome at the Pioneer Log Cabin picnic area, but kegs and liquor are not. Remember: carrying open alcoholic beverages outside the picnic area is never permitted.
- Jump! Inflatable play structures are welcome (additional permit required). No electricity is provided. Inflatable must be hand-carted into the location due to road closures in surrounding areas.
- Pioneer Log Cabin has a large, flat grassy area, so spread out and play some games! There is space for lawn games, volleyball, or a small kickball game.
- Neighboring sites: The Pioneer Log Cabin building itself is part of the Recreation and Park Department offices and is not available for rent.
- Food-Trucks require an extra permit.
Reservable Picnic Areas
Yes; 4 8-foot tables with 2 grills reservable from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Street - limited availability
Additional Park Picnic Area Information
- Alcohol: Yes; Beer and Wine Only; No Glass/No Liquor
- BBQ Allowed:
- Jumpers Allowed: Yes - Additional Permit Required
- Restrooms: Yes - Closest at 14th Avenue Meadow
View the Picnic Area Map page to see a map of the area.
Reservation Fees & Details
View our Picnic and Impact Fees