The Peace Plaza Vision Plan process is moving along smoothly. The Recreation and Parks Department is fortunate to collaborate with the Japantown Task Force as a partner on this project. As we look towards our second community meeting, we would like to provide you with some updates:
- At community meeting 1 we presented our initial findings about the current plaza and the important elements of its history, then discussed some elements that the community may want to see in the future plaza. We logged the community’s responses by using “dot board” exercises.
- As a component of our community outreach, RPD attended the Nihonmachi Street Fair to distribute more surveys and to have the Dot Boards available for the community to provide input.
- The results of both the survey and the dot boards will inform initial design concepts which will be presented at Community Meeting 2.
- These design concepts combine Japanese design approaches with the wishes of the community and will be developed in conjunction with the Japantown Task Force.
- We received 420 survey responses that told us how the community uses the plaza currently and how they would like to use it in the future.
- In 2018, Rec Park, along with the JTF has attended almost 2 dozen community meetings, info sessions, and festivals to “get the word out”!
We look forward to seeing you at Community Meeting 2 on 10/25/18, 6pm at JCCNC on 1875 Sutter Street! Please check back after the meeting for the presentation materials and a link for a new survey that will ask what you think about the preliminary design concepts.