In September 2015, the Recreation and Park Commission approved a community-supported, concept plan to improve pedestrian safety along the multi-use pathway on the north side of the Golden Gate Park Panhandle.
Planned pedestrian (and bicycle!) safety improvements to the multi-use path shall include:
- Restriping the centerline of the multi-use pathway;
- New striping on the multi-use pathway near street intersections;
- New symbol stencils (bicycle and pedestrian) on the multi-use pathway;
- Additional site furnishings (benches, trash receptacles and bike racks);
- Additional way-finding signage;
- Additional park identification poles and signs;
- New water bottle filler; and
- New landscaping.
This funded project is currently in design, and anticipated for construction in late-summer 2016.
The concept plan also depicts a future phase to repave the pedestrian-only south path. This future phase shall move forward when funding is secured.
For more information, please contact Marvin Yee, Project Manager, at Marvin.Yee@sfgov.org, or at (415) 581-2541.