Please join us on February 16 from 1 to 3 p.m. at McLaren Lodge (501 Stanyan Street), for the opening reception of our Mother’s Building Photo Exhibit in partnership with the Harvey Milk Photo Center. The photos themselves will be on display at McLaren Lodge from January 27 to March 3.
The Mothers Building was built in 1925 by architect George Kelham for philanthropists Herbert and Mortimer Fleishacker. Inside the building there are four murals depicting the story of Noah and the Ark. They were painted on the walls by WPA artists Helen Forbes and Dorothy W. Pucinelli. The two mosaics on the outside of the building were done by Helen Margaret and Ester Bruton. This is the only building in San Francisco where all of the WPA art work was done by women artists.
For more information, click here or visit “Friends of the Mothers Building at the San Francisco Zoo“ on Facebook.