Sharp Park, which was formerly part of the San Pedro Ranch, was deeded to the City and County of San Francisco back in 1917. Within the overall Sharp Park property, a six acre parcel of land on the east side of Highway 1 (approx. 3/4 mile east) was converted to a firing range back in 1952. This range remained in operation until it was closed in 1988. During that time of operation, lead bullets and shot were fired into the soil throughout the range and into a cut hillside at the northern edge of the site. The bullets and shot that were dispersed over the site create the primary clean-up material of interest (inorganic lead), which is classified as a hazardous substance.
This projects focus includes the consolidation and containment of lead contaminated soils within the project 6 acre site. All surface vegetation will be cleared from the site followed by an aggressive grading operation to consolidate and cap approximately 12,000 to 16,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil. Upon completion of the grading operation, the perimeter fencing will be removed, a small .03 acre wetland will be recreated and the entire site will be mulch and seeded in preparation for winter weather. Upon completion, the entire area will once again be available for general pubic access.