Roads will be closed in Golden Gate Park for the following special events (please note that in addition, on Sundays and all holidays, John F Kennedy Drive (JFK) is closed from the East End (Kezar Drive) to Transverse Drive and on Saturdays from April through September, JFK is closed to vehicle traffic from 8th Ave to Transverse Drive).
JANUARY 13, 2019 – HOT CHOCOLATE RUN
- MLK between Music Concourse and Crossover Drive between 3:00 am and 9:30 am;
- JFK between Bernice Rodgers Way and Transverse Drive between 6:00 am and 11:30 am;
- Stow Lake Drive between 6:00 am and 9:30 am
- Transverse Drive between MLK and Crossover Drive between 6:00 am and 11:30 am;
- Middle Drive West between Transverse Drive and MLK between 6:00 am and 10:00 am;
- Chain of Lakes Drive between JFK Drive and MLK Drive between 6:00 am 11:15 am;
- MLK Drive between Sunset Boulevard and Lincoln Way between 6:00 am and 11:00 am;
- Bernice Rodgers between MLK and JFK between 6:00 am and 11:00 am; and
- Great Highway from Lincoln Way to Sloat Boulevard from 7:00 am to 11:00 am;
All roads will be reopened by 12 pm
FEB 3, 2019 – KAISER PERMANENTE HALF MARATHON
- Saturday Prior at 7:30 a.m. through Sunday Event Day at 3:30 p.m.
- MLK Drive between Lincoln Way and Bernice Rodgers Way
- Parking Lane only on JFK Drive east of Crossover (between Rainbow Falls &Stow Lake Drive for Tents
- Parking lane only on JFK Drive east of Stow Lake Drive for Tents
- Event Day from 6:00 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
- JFK Drive between Transverse Drive and Kezar Drive (normal Sunday Closure)
- Kezar Drive (complete closure)
- Bowling Green Drive (complete closure)
- Pelosi Drive (complete closure)
- MLK Drive between 9th Ave. and 19th Ave. (complete closure)
- Stow Lake Drive (complete closure)
- Music Concourse Drive (complete closure: Teagarden Drive/Academy Drive/Bandshell & Tour Bus lots)
- Event Day from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- JFK Drive (from Transverse Drive to the Great Highway)
- Transverse Drive (complete closure)
- West Middle Drive (complete closure – from Transverse Drive to MLK Drive)
- MLK Drive between Bernice Rodgers Way and Sunset Blvd.
- Chain of Lakes Drive between JFK Drive & MLK Drive
- Bernice Rodgers Way between JFK Drive & MLK Drive
- Park entrances on Fulton Street at 36th Ave. and at 47th Ave. (local access only ~ to Golf Course, Archery Field, and Dog Training areas)
- Park entrance on Lincoln Way at 41st Ave.
- Event Day from 6:00 a.m. to NOON
- JFK DRIVE (complete closure from Bernice Rodgers Way to the Great Hwy)
- Great Highway, northbound lanes only, between Fulton Street and Skyline Blvd
APRIL 27, 2019 – KINGS DAY
- MLK Drive from Bernice Rodgers to Lincoln Way from 6 am to 7 pm
MAY 19, 2019 – BAY TO BREAKERS
- Overview: Expect congestion in the park until 4 pm with all roads closed except MLK from Lincoln to Park Presidio and Nancy Pelosi Drive
- The following roads will be closed from 3 am to 4 pm
- JFK from Stanyan to the Great Highway
- Bernice Rodgers from JFK to MLK
- Transverse from MKL to Crossover
- 30th and 36th Ave from Fulton to JFK
- Chain of Lakes from Fulton to Lincoln
- MLK from Chain of Lakes to Sunset
- The following road will be closed from 9 pm on the Saturday prior to 4 pm on the event day
- Great Highway from Slot to JFK
- MLK from Bernice Rodgers to Lincoln Way
- The following road will be closed from 9 pm on the Saturday prior to 2 pm on the event day
- 47th Ave from Fulton to JFK
- The following roads will be closed from 12:01 am to 4 pm
- Great Highway from JFK to Balboa
- The following road will be closed from 5 am to 2 pm
- Great Highway from Balboa to Point Lobos
JUNE 9, 2019 – ESCAPE FROM ALCATRAZ TRIATHALON
- From 3:30 A.M. TO 4 pm (in combination with Sunday Streets)
- THE EASTERN MOST LANE (northbound) OF THE GREAT HIGHWAY SOUTHBOUND FROM POINT LOBOS AVENUE TO JOHN F KENNEDY DRIVE.
- MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. DRIVE FROM LINCOLN AVENUE TO 25TH AVENUE AT TRANSVERSE DRIVE.
- TRANSVERSE DRIVE FROM MLK DRIVE TO JOHN F. KENNEDY DRIVE.
- JOHN F KENNEDY DRIVE TO THE GREAT HIGHWAY.
JUNE 9, 2019 – SUNDAY STREETS
- From 3:30 A.M. TO 4 pm (in combination with Escape from Alcatraz)
- Great Highway between Lincoln Way and Sloat Blvd;
- Transverse Dr between JFK and MLK
- Middle Dr between Transverse Dr and MLK
- MLK between Middle Dr and Lincoln Way.
JUNE 19, 2019 – SUMMER SOLSTICE EVENT
- From 5 am TO 12 midnight
- JFK Drive between 8th Avenue and Kezar Drive
- Nancy Pelosi Drive between Bowling Green Drive and JFK Drive
- Conservatory Drive East and West
JULY 14, 2019 – AIDS WALK
- From 6:00AM until 2:00PM:
- JFK Drive – west end from Transverse to the 47th Avenue connection. (The East end is already closed on Sundays.)
- Transverse Drive – from Crossover Drive to MLK Drive
- Middle Drive West from Transverse to Chain of Lakes
- MLK Drive from Chain of Lakes to JFK Drive
- Metson Road – from MLK Drive to Middle Drive West.
- Bowling Green Drive –from MLK Drive to Pelosi Drive (Middle Drive East)
JULY 28, 2019 – SF MARATHON
- The roads will close at 3:15 am:
- Westbound JFK at Kezar Drive
- Southbound Arguello at Fulton
- Southbound 8th Avenue at Fulton
- Northbound Music Concourse at JFK Drive
- The roads will close at 4:30 am:
- MLK drive at Stow Lake Drive – be sure that RUNNERS (not traffic) coming from the west can still gain access
- Northbound Transverse Drive at Middle Drive West
- Southbound Transverse at Crossover Drive
- Southbound 30th at Fulton
- Southbound 36th Avenue at Fulton
- Southbound 43rd Avenue at Fulton
- Eastbound JFK Drive at soccer field parking lot access
- All MLK Drive at Lincoln
- Northbound 41st at Lincoln
- Northbound Sunset at Irving
- MLK Drive West of 25th Avenue
By 11:00 am all roads will reopen.
AUG 9-11, 2019 OUTSIDE LANDS
During the week prior (Mon-Thurs Aug 5-9) and the two days after (Mon, Tues Aug 12-13), JFK from Transverse to 36th Ave will be closed due to congestion and to provide a bike route. Bikes will be allowed on JFK at 5 mph speed limit.
Vehicle access to the park will be limited beginning the night of Thursday, August 8 beginning at 8:00 pm and ending Sunday, August 13 at 11:00 pm and include all roads in the west side of the park from Transverse Dr. to the Great Highway. The following entrances to the park will be closed to the public:
On north side of the park:
- Transverse Dr at Crossover Dr
- JFK Dr at Transverse Dr
- 30th Ave
- 36th Ave
- 43rd Ave (Chain of Lakes)
- 47th Ave
- The Great Hwy at JFK Dr.
On the south side:
- Martin Luther King Jr Dr at Crossover Dr
- 25th Ave
- Sunset Blvd @ Irving St
- 41st Ave (Chain of Lakes)
- Martin Luther King Jr Dr at Lincoln Ave
OCT 4-6, 2019 – HARDLY STRICTLY BLUEGRASS
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday:
- Transverse Drive closed from Crossover Drive (25th Ave) to Martin Luther King Drive from 6:00a.m. Friday until 11:55p.m. on Sunday.
- JFK Drive closed, between Stow Lake Circle and 36th Ave. from 8:00p.m. Thursday until 6:00 p.m. on Monday.
- 30th Ave closed from Fulton to JFK drive from 8:00 pm Thursday until Monday at 6:00p.m.
- 36th Ave from Fulton to the turnaround from 6:00a.m. Friday until11 :55 p.m. on Sunday
- JFK Drive closed from 36th Ave to Chain of Lakes Drive from 6 a.m. Friday until 11:55 p.m. on Sunday.
- Polo Fields parking area on both the north (stables) and south side of the Polo fields from 6 a.m. on Friday until 1 p.m. on Monday.
- Middle Drive West from Transverse to MLK from Friday at 6:00a.m. until 11:55 p.m. on Sunday.
- Overlook Drive from Transverse to Middle Drive West from Friday at 6:00a.m. until 11 :55 p.m. on Sunday.
- Metson Drive from Middle Drive West to MLK from Friday at 6:00a.m. until 11:55 p.m. on Sunday.
- Mon, Tues, Wed Thurs Prior and Tuesday after
- JFK Drive closed, between Transverse Drive and 36th Ave. due to congestion from load in. Bikes will be allowed on JFK at 5 mph speed limit except when arches are being installed in which event they will be diverted.
- Special Accommodations for Polo Field Access:
- JFK (North Side): Access will be provided on Friday and Saturday for soccer players. They will be instructed to enter on 36th Avenue and allowed to park on JFK between 36th Avenue and Chain of Lake.
- MLK (South Side): Access will be allowed on Friday for after school soccer use.