The design team is finalizing construction documents for a renovated Panhandle Playground, based on tremendous input received from the community for the concept design.
A few updates:
- No substantive changes have been made to the design since concept design was approved by the Rec and Park Commission in February 2018;
- We are excited about the seating options in the playground, including wood-decked concrete terraces, single-sided and double-sided concrete and wood benches, along with picnic tables (see image below for construction details);
- We are planning to move forward to prune 2 trees and remove 5 trees in the immediate vicinity of the playground in the next few months ahead of the general contractor coming on board. The reason for this timing is to minimize conflicts with the bird nesting season and to avoid associated construction delays to the playground renovation. Trees to be removed will be posted with a courtesy 30 day advanced notice. The playground renovation will include 8 new trees and lots of perennial shrubs and grasses;
- The entrance on the east side of the playground will be removed to allow for more of a buffer between the Rec and Park staff utility area and the playground. The main entrance will be on the north side, with secondary entrances at basketball court (near existing) and from the south pathway; and
- We have worked extensively with the design team, our maintenance staff and vendors to specify products that are fun, educational and hearty.
Please click here for construction plan that shows the project layout and elements. We are planning to advertise to contractors later this month to stay on schedule.
And click on the image below to enlarge the construction details for seating:
Please email Project Manager Melinda Stockmann at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions otherwise stay tuned for more project updates.