Regarding the renovation of Garfield Pool Center, the Capital Division is requesting that the Concept Design being presented to the Commission on August 20, 2017 be approved.
- The design thoughtfully integrates the Clubhouse and the Pool – adding a gathering space and redesigning the Clubhouse so community groups can use it for events;
- The design will create a vibrant aquatic center that appeals to a variety of pool users including Lap & Adult Swimming, Senior & Special Needs Users, Children’s Lessons, Rec Swimming & Water Exercise and respects the diversity of the community – the mural will be updated by Precita Eyes, the original artist;
- Bringing the pool to regulation size length of 25 yards or 75 feet;
- This allows for an increase in available programming hours for lap and recreational swimming by over 40% (this has occurred at Hamilton Pool which recently underwent renovation);
- And Reduces the backlog of the swimming lessons waitlist (Garfield currently has 724 people on the waiting list).
- The design will allow dual programming on both sides of the bulk-head at the same time;
- Seniors and children under 4ft tall, will be able to use the shallow end of the pool by sitting on the steps, taking lessons and partaking in water exercise; and
- This design has had tremendous support from families in the neighborhood.
Also, it is important for the community to have increased pool usage given the amount of youth (over 2000 within a quarter mile of the facility) and families that use the pool for lap swimming, classes and most importantly swimming lessons.
The pool facility will also create additional recreation and gathering space for the community and increase the usage of the Clubhouse; this may include BBQs, birthday parties, and movie nights.
We urge you to support the design.