May 7, 2022
Golden Gate Park- Skatin' Place
6th Avenue Skate Park
San Francisco, CA 94118
Car-Free JFK: Legislation Signing and Community Day
Saturday, May 7, 2022
Celebrate the new permanent car-free JFK Promenade in Golden Gate Park with free activities, food trucks and more!
Join us for a special event celebrating the new permanent car-free JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park. This free event will include a legislation signing ceremony at 12:15 p.m. and family-friendly activities, including lawn games, performances, SFPL Bookmobile, arts and crafts, and food trucks. Come out and bike, roll and stroll with us on the new JFK Promenade.
Getting to the event
Driving and Parking
We recommend arriving early to avoid traffic and to find parking. Be sure to look at how far you may have to travel from a parking space to your destination.
General Parking— General parking fills up by mid-day in Golden Gate Park, and earlier for special events. Approximate parking spaces in different parts of eastern Golden Gate Park are:
- 40 spaces on Conservatory Drive West, northwest of the Conservatory of Flowers
- 500 spaces around Lawn Bowling, Koret Children’s Playground, Big Recreation area, southeast of the Music Concourse
- 225 spaces on MLK Drive around the Botanical Garden.
- 550 spaces around Stow Lake
- 800 paid parking spaces underground in the Music Concourse Garage.
Blue Zone Parking— Blue zone parking is available in the following locations. The location name/cross streets are followed by the number of spaces at that location. Where indicated, blue zone parking locations connect to the free Golden Gate Park shuttle. The Golden Gate Park shuttle runs every 15 minutes on weekends and holidays, and will add a stop at the 6th Avenue Skatin’ Place event location. More information about driving to Golden Gate Park, including driving routes and a map of blue zone parking locations, can be found at this link.
- McLaren Lodge Annex lower parking lot (Fell and Stanyan Streets): 8—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- Page and Stanyan Streets: 1
- Stanyan and Haight Street: 2—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- Kezar public parking lot (Stanyan and Waller): 6
- Lincoln near Stanyan (near Kezar Stadium entrance): 1
- Golden Gate Park Tennis Center (Nancy Pelosi Drive and JFK Drive): 4—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- Bowling Green Drive and Nancy Pelosi Drive: 1
- Aids Memorial Grove (Bowling Green Drive near Nancy Pelosi Drive): 2
- Nancy Pelosi Drive near 9th Avenue: 6
- Robin Williams Meadow/Koret Playground Parking lot (MLK Drive and Bowling Green Drive): 3
- MLK Drive near 9th Avenue: 1
- MLK near the Botanical Gardens (MLK Drive between Nancy Pelosi Drive and Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive): 5
- Bandshell accessible parking lot (enter from Music Concourse Drive off of MLK Drive): 20—SHUTTLE CONNECTION [NOTE: this lot is under construction and is scheduled to open at the end of May]
- Academy of Sciences paid garage (enter at Music Concourse Drive off MLK Drive): 16—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- DeYoung Musuem paid garage (enter at Fulton and 10th Avenue): 17—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- MLK Drive between Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive and Stow Lake Drive: 6
- Stow Lake Parking Lot: 3—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- 9th Avenue near the County Fair Building: 2
- Fulton and 8th Avenue: 2
- Fulton and 9th Avenue: 2
- Fulton and 10th Avenue: 2
- Park Presidio and Fulton: 2
- Transverse Drive and JFK Drive: 3—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
There are bus lines that drop off close to the event, or connect with the free Golden Gate Park shuttle. The shuttle runs every 15 minutes on weekends, and will add an additional stop at the 6th Avenue Skatin’ Place, the event location.
- 5 Fulton: Get off at 6th Avenue and Fulton. From the eastbound direction it is about 225 feet to the event and from the westbound direction it is about 300 feet.
- 7, 33, or 66 buses: Get off at Haight and Stanyan, near the Whole Foods market—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
- 44: Get off at the DeYoung Museum or the Academy of Sciences—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
Paratransit vans are permitted to drive on JFK Drive and can drop off and pick up at the 6th Avenue Skatin’ Place, the event location
Ride Share, taxis, and passenger drop-off
Passengers can be dropped off within 225-300 feet from the event location, or they can be dropped off and connect with the free Golden Gate Park shuttle.
- Passengers can be dropped off at Fulton and 6th Avenue. From the eastbound direction it is about 225 feet to the event and from the westbound direction it is about 300 feet.
- Passengers can be dropped off at the passenger loading zones in front of the DeYoung Museum or the Academy of Sciences—SHUTTLE CONNECTION
Free Golden Gate Park shuttle
The free Golden Gate Park shuttle runs every 15 minutes, 9am-6pm on weekends and holidays. A stop will be added at the event location, 6th Avenue and JFK, on the day of the event. For more information about the free Golden Gate Park shuttle visit this link.
- Haight and Stanyan Street, located on Haight Street next to Whole Foods; Connects to SFMTA lines 7, 33 and 66
- McLaren Lodge (eastbound route only; Stanyan & JFK Drive, 501 Stanyan Street; accessible parking and parking lot available)
- Tennis Center/Dahlia Dell (Nancy Pelosi Drive & JFK Drive; accessible parking available)
- Conservatory of Flowers (Conservatory Drive West & JFK Drive)
- EVENT LOCATION: Skatin’ Place (JFK and 6th Avenue)--This stop added on 5/7/22 for this event
- de Young Museum/Japanese Tea Garden/SF Botanical Gardens (eastbound route only; Music Concourse loop; accessible parking and parking lot available)
- Accessible Lot/Shakespeare Garden (In construction; coming soon)
- California Academy of Sciences/Skystar Observation Wheel (eastbound route only; Music Concourse loop; accessible parking and parking lot available)
- 10th Avenue/de Young North (JFK near the 10th Avenue entrance; connects to SFMTA line 5R; accessible parking available)
- Rose Garden (JFK Drive near Park Presidio)
- Stow Lake Boathouse (eastbound route only; accessible parking and parking lot available)
- Transverse Drive (JFK and Transverse Drive; accessible parking available)
At the event
American Sign Language
American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation will be provided at the stage area. Seating close to the stage will be reserved for ASL users.
Reserved seating is available for those with mobility devices and those using sign language interpreting. Please see Rec and Park staff or Park Rangers for assistance.
Questions or assistance at the event
Please see Rec and Park staff at the stage, information/first aid table, or Park Rangers for questions or assistance during the event.
The event is wheelchair accessible and American Sign Language interpretation will be provided. To request accommodations, email email@example.com or call 415-831-6834. To help ensure availability, please let us know as soon as possible if you would like to request accommodations.