- FIND A PROGRAM
- Volunteer Programs
- Greenager Program
The Greenager Program is a San Francisco Recreation and Park Department and Port of San Francisco youth stewardship and leadership program, supported by the Port of San Francisco. The program was created and designed to offer teens a chance to play an important role in the community by improving the city’s green spaces, raising awareness, creating place-based projects and/or projects based on issues or themes participants value and are interested in.
The Greenager Program is for teenagers that live in or attend a school in the Southeast, Northeast and Tenderloin neighborhoods of San Francisco. Greenagers are trained and provided with multiple leadership opportunities. They facilitate workshops, lead public volunteer service projects, participate in community events, go on fun team excursions and more.
Our goal is to create a safe atmosphere in which youth can learn about the importance of the preservation of our parks and open spaces, voice their concerns about their environment and community, and take action while gaining fundamental job and life skills, push and challenge their perceived limitations, bond with like-minded peers and have fun all in their own backyard!
- Program established in 2012 with a crew based in southeast SF
- In 2017, added a second crew based in northeast of SF
- In 2023, added a third crew based in the Tenderloin
- 123 teens have successfully completed the program, 30 have returned as leaders for a second year
- Coastal Clean Up site captains since 2013
- Engaged with over 500 community members and key stakeholders
- Service provided in over 20 different parks and opens spaces in San Francisco
- 21,500 hours of service to our city’s parks and open spaces, community events and rec centers
- Received Board of supervisor’s program commendation on July 29, 2014
- Annual sailing excursion with Blue Water Foundation and other fun adventures including camping to get youth outdoors
- Earn paid work experience as a San Francisco Recreation and Park Employee
- Greenagers earn $18.75 per hour
- Forge new long-lasting friendships
- Gain valuable and transferable job skills
- Advance your leadership & public speaking skills
- Gain professional work experience
- Explore new parks, rec centers & open spaces
- Learn about SF’s native flora and fauna
- Looks great on your resume
Who can be a Greenager?
To be a Greenager you must meet the criteria below:
- You must live in or attend a school in the Southeast Sector of San Francisco (Excelsior, Portola, Bayview, Hunter’s Point, Visitation Valley, Crocker Amazon, or Potrero Hill) or Northeast Sector of San Francisco (Western Addition, Tenderloin and Chinatown); the Tenderloin (Tenderloin Chinatown, Western Addition, Fillmore, and Treasure Island), or you must be referred to us by one of our direct partners.
- Must be a 9th to 12th grade student
- Must be able to commit to the full program
How do I apply?
The application period is closed. Please check back in Fall 2023.
Please e-mail email@example.com or call 415-831-6319 for more information about the application process and season.
The Port of San Francisco is a core partner of the Greenager Program