- Explore Our Parks
- Playground Safety
Playgrounds are currently open.
San Francisco remains under the regional stay at home order. This means you can visit a playground, but only with members of your own household. Everyone over 2 must wear a mask at all times, practice social distancing, and comply with capacity limits. This is not a time to schedule playdates or meet others at the playground.
This decision reflects that playgrounds are essential spaces for children with established benefits to their physical and mental health. Allowing for their use is comparable to the health order allowing park usage for adults to get exercise and fresh air.
They will remain open for use with capacity limits, hand sanitizing stations, and requirements for masks and social distancing.
Follow the rules to stay safe!
- Do not visit a playground with anyone not in your household. Do not arrange playdates.
- Limit visits to 30 minutes when others are present.
- Visitors of all ages must stay 6 feet away from non-household members.
- Everyone 2 and older must wear masks.
- Do not eat or drink at the playground.
- If it’s crowded, come back later or choose a different playground.
- Clean your hands before and after playing.
- Adults must actively supervise children at all times. Children 2 and under must be within arm’s reach.
- To maximize the number of children who can play, only one adult may accompany each child.
Rec and Park’s 179 public playgrounds have signs reminding families of capacity limits and other guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Hand washing stations have been placed at the 51 playgrounds without restrooms through a generous donation by Kaiser Permanente and KABOOM!, a non-profit organization that helps communities build playgrounds.
Limited Hours at Some Playgrounds
Some playground sites around the city are currently being used for Emergency Child and Youth Care (ECYC), Community Hub and preschool programs. To comply with the City's Health Order, public access to the playgrounds is limited to non-program hours. All other playgrounds are open to the general public seven days a week during normal park hours.
Please use the interactive map below to search for a playground and associated operating hours.
Playground Rules & Guidelines:
Special thanks to Kaiser Permanente and KABOOM! for their generous support to safely reopen playgrounds across the city.