- EXPLORE OUR PARKS
- Park Improvements
- Active Park Projects
- McLaren Park
- McLaren Park Vision Planning Project
McLaren Park Vision Plan - Next Steps!
The 2020 Health and Recovery Bond included $6 million for capital improvements to McLaren Park under the Citywide Parks Program. Recreation and Park Department staff will conduct community outreach Fall 2022-Summer 2023 to determine how this funding will be invested the park. Preliminary project ideas can be viewed under the Documents & Materials tab below. The McLaren Vision Plan serves as a framework for our current project proposals.
The McLaren Park Vision Plan
After two and half years of community outreach, the Recreation and Park Department published the McLaren Park Vision Plan Report in the Spring of 2018. The goals of the Vision Plan were the following:
- Engage the community to develop an identity for McLaren Park
- Build a community-supported vision
- Balance neighborhood and city use while protecting natural features
- Invest the 2012 Bond in priority projects that support a shared vision; and
- Position McLaren Park for future investment.
The complete report can be viewed here Vision Plan Process (PDF) and a summary of the projects that received funding is on page 81. View the Appendix (PDF) for additional details on the outreach process.
If you would like to sign up for updates click here and scroll down to the NewsFlash and select the alerts you would like to receive.
SF Rec and Park Commission Meeting at Joe Lee Rec Center | March 16 at 10 a.m.Come meet your Rec and Park Commissioners at our offsite Commission meeting at Joe Lee Rec Center Read on...
Herz Playground – Construction Update | March 2023Even with these heavy winter rains, we continue to make progress at Herz Playground. The new sewer lines that serve the Read on...
Herz Recreation Center Project update | February 2023We are finalizing our bid set of documents for the Herz Recreation Center Project... Read on...
John Shelley Drive in McLaren Park – Virtual Community MeetingPlease join us in discussing the future of John Shelley Drive, including a proposed car-free promenade segment . . . Read on...
McLaren Park Improvement Projects Update 12/20/22!Thank you to everyone who participated in our community meeting on December 6th. . . Read on...
McLaren Park Improvement Projects Community Meeting December 6th online!December 3rd meeting moving to December 6th, online . . . Read on...
McLaren Park Improvement Projects Community Meeting December 6th online!Join us in person to share ideas and prioritize park improvements! . . . Read on...
McLaren Park Vision Plan Update 10/26!We are busy behind the scenes preparing to host a community meeting later this year. . . Read on...
McLaren Park Vision Plan Update 9/16!We are looking forwarding to meeting with the community this Fall to discuss project ideas for investing the 2020 Bond funding. . . Read on...
Visitacion Avenue Crossing Project Update 10/7!We are awaiting bid results for this project . . . Read on...
- McLaren Park Vision Plan Report, April 2018 (PDF)
- McLaren Park Vision Plan Report appendix, April 2018 (PDF)
- McLaren Park Vision Plan Report attachments, April 2018 (PDF)
Community Meetings - Notes and Presentations
- McLaren Park Improvements Meeting Presentation 12-6-22
- McLaren 2020 Bond Presentation to Portola Neighborhood Association
- McLaren 2020 Bond Presentation 6.15.22
- McLaren Workshop 3 Presentation (PDF)
Amphitheater Focus Area Workshop
Roadways Focus Area Workshop
Group Picnic & Playground Focus Area Workshop 2
Trails & Paths Focus Area Workshop 3
- Framework and Tools Board (PDF)
- Priority Project Area 1 Board (PDF)
- Priority Project Area 2 Board (PDF)
- Priority Project Area 3 Board (PDF)
- Priority Project Area 4 Board (PDF)
Group Picnic Focus Area Workshop 1
- Group Picnic and Playground Boards (PDF)
- Group Picnic and Playground Questionnaire (PDF)
- Vision Plan Summary Sheet (PDF)
- Which Event Have you Attended Sheet (PDF)
Trails & Paths Focus Area Workshop 2
Courts Focus Area Workshop
Trails & Paths Focus Area Workshop 1
- Informational Boards (Chinese) (PDF)
- Informational Boards (English) (PDF)
- Informational Boards (Spanish) (PDF)
- Process and Summary Boards (Chinese) (PDF)
- Process and Summary Boards (English) (PDF)
- Process and Summary Boards (Spanish) (PDF)
- Score Card (Chinese) (PDF)
- Score Card (English) (PDF)
- Score Card (Spanish) (PDF)
- View the Presentation Boards used to inform the decision-making process behind the Game Board: Imagine My McLaren - Game Board (PDF)
- A. What We Heard (PDF)
- B. Site Analysis (PDF)
- C. Activation/Safety (PDF)
- D. Identity Station (PDF)
- E. Programming (PDF)
- F. Points of Interesting (PDF)
- G. Gateway/Edges (PDF)
- H. Connectivity (PDF)