Are you excited to volunteer in San Francisco’s more than 225 parks and recreation facilities? Volunteers like you contributed 147,367 hours this past fiscal year – representing an invaluable contribution to our city in efforts as diverse as planting trees in Golden Gate Park, teaching Zumba at a local Rec Center, or painting faces at special events. Find opportunities in every corner of the city that are as diverse as your interests, skills, and abilities. Our volunteers include individuals and school, community, business, and international groups. See the tabs below to learn about popular options that will fit your schedule and needs. Please choose your next steps depending on your interest to help us serve you better!
Join the global urban parks community in San Francisco! City Parks Alliance and the San Francisco Recreation & Park Department are excited to be partnering to present Greater & Greener 2015: Innovative Parks, Vibrant Cities. Join us – and more than 1,000 global park leaders, city planning and design professionals, and … Continue reading
SF Rec and Park is looking to recruit a few Greenagers. Are you a 9th or 10th grade student that lives in or attends a school in the southeast of San Francisco? Are you interested in being a youth leader and promoting park stewardship? Do you enjoy working with the … Continue reading
Become a Children’s Walk Guide at the San Francisco Botanical Garden Training starts February 10th, 2015 Here’s what you need: 1) A desire to introduce children to nature and make it fun 2) Availability on weekday mornings. San Francisco Botanical Garden Society Children’s Walk Guide training takes place February to … Continue reading
On November 20, 2014 Habitat for Humanity Greater San Francisco was honored by the City of SF Parks Commission Meeting for its outstanding volunteer contributions to the Bayview Neighborhood of the South East District where it has contributed over 3,500 volunteer hours and mobilized over 1,300 volunteers at nine unique … Continue reading
The 2015 World Golf Championships – Cadillac Match Play is looking for volunteers! Enjoy a behind the scenes experience as the top 64 golfers in the world compete head-to-head, April 27 – May 3 at TPC Harding Park. All volunteers will receive: Nike uniform package Daily access to tournament grounds … Continue reading
Phil Ginsburg greeted several members of the Park and Recreation Open Space Advisory Committee/PROSAC who recently volunteered their time giving Garfield Park a little clean-up. PROSAC members, appointed by the Board of Supervisors serve as liaisons between the RPD Commission, residents, neighborhood groups and organizations dedicated to park and recreational issues in … Continue reading
The Youth Stewardship Program is hiring 2014-15 Environmental Education Interns! We are looking for fabulous applicants who are interested in working with youth in San Francisco parks running our free field trip program. Check out the website IdeaList for a detailed description of the opportunity. Interested applicants can email email@example.com … Continue reading
Would you like to try out your green thumb or help clean-up your neighborhood park? Volunteers participate in a wide variety of projects including: weeding, planting, mulching, habitat restoration, trash-pick up, painting, and trail maintenance.
We can accommodate individuals or groups on a one-time or ongoing basis, any day of the week.
Golden Gate Park
From the Conservatory of Flowers to the Bison Paddock, there is a wealth of exciting volunteer opportunities in this world class park.
Check out the monthly work party schedule for ongoing events, we welcome drop in volunteers! Groups of 5 or more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Gardening Work Party Schedule
- 1st Monday
- 10am-12pm: De Young Museum
- 1st Saturday
- 9am-12pm: 7th Ave and JFK
- 9am-12pm: North Lake
- 2nd Saturday
- 10am-12:30pm: Oak Woodlands Restoration Project
- 9am-12pm: North of Panhandle Neighborhood Assoc.
- 3rd Saturday
- 9am-12pm: Bison Paddock
- 9am-12pm: National AIDS Memorial Grove (March-October)
- 4th Saturday
- 9am-12pm: Alvord Lake
- 9am-12pm: Beach Chalet
Habitat restoration volunteers work primarily in Natural Areas and may participate in a wide variety of activities, including removing invasive weeds, propagating native plants in the nursery, controlling erosion, planting and monitoring. Events occur rain or shine. Wear closed-toed shoes, long pants, and layers. Tools and refreshments provided.
Individuals can check out the monthly work party schedule listed below or our ongoing events calendar and drop in for a project.
Groups of 5 or more people please contact email@example.com to set up a meaningful project.
Monthly Work Parties
- First Saturday
- 9am - noon: Buena Vista Park
- 10am - 12:30pm: Mount Davidson
- Second Saturday
- 10am - 12:30pm: Golden Gate Park: Oak Woodlands
- 10am - Noon: Edgehill Mountain
- 10am - Noon: Bayview Park (on odd numbered months only)
- 10am - Noon: McLaren Park (on even numbered months only)
- Third Saturday
- 9am - 11:30am: Glen Canyon Park
- 10am - Noon: Bernal Hill
- 10am - Noon: Lake Merced
- Last Saturday
- 10am - Noon: Corona Heights
Bi-Monthly and Quarterly Work Parties:
- Billy Goat Hill
- Fairmount Park
- Interior Greenbelt
- Kite Hill
- Pine Lake
- Tank Hill
- Twin Peaks
Individuals may look at our event calendar and attend any ongoing projects.
Groups of 5 or more must contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least three weeks in advance. Large groups please contact at least 5 weeks in advance, and groups of 100 or more please allow three months planning time.
Do you have a special talent you would like to share with youth, teens, adults, or seniors at a local recreation center? Do you enjoy arts and crafts, theater, sports, dance, music, or tutoring? Contact your local recreation center or playground staff for a range of opportunities and find an available program to match your interests.
Volunteers assist staff with arts and crafts, game booths and sports activities at special events such as spring fairs, family fun days, holiday events and ribbon cutting ceremonies.
Next Steps Fingerprinting
- After finding a program, Recreation site and Supervisor, you are ready for a background check.
- Fill out the application form below.
- Go to Appointment Plus link to schedule an appointment online.
- Please bring the completed application and photo ID to your appointment located at McLaren Lodge at 501 Stanyan in Golden Gate Park. Walk Through the stone building to the Annex (back building). The live scan machine is located next to the receptionist.
- Any questions contact Marianne Kjobmand at 415-831-6327 or email@example.com
Why fingerprinting? Fingerprinting satisfies a State Law that requires anyone who volunteers in a facility containing a sensitive population to have a background check.
Thanks for your understanding.
Volunteer at Pine Lake or Silver Tree summer camps as part of our LIT Program.
Individuals are welcome to drop in to monthly youth friendly volunteer parties:
- 1st Saturdays 9am-noon Crocker Amazon
- 2nd Saturdays 9am-noon Heron's Head Park
- 3rd Saturdays 9am-noon Bison Paddock in Golden Gate Park
- 4th Saturdays 9am-noon Visiticion Valley Greenway Project
Groups please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-831-6330 to speak to our youth programming staff.
Youth Stewardship Program
Are you an educator, parent, student, or youth service provider? Bring our FREE field trip program for 2nd-12th grade to your school! YSP offers students a chance to participate in place-based experiential learning at a local park. Starting with a visit to the classroom, YSP includes up to 5 field trips offering hands-on service and facilitated environmental education activities like bug collecting, water testing, and planting. Find out more and apply here.
The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department’s Greenagers program offers teens, from the Southeast Side of San Francisco, a chance to play an important role in the community by improving our city’s green spaces and raising awareness. Greenagers work in various parks and open spaces throughout San Francisco, meet with various Rec and Park staff, community members and partners; create place-based projects and or projects based on issues they are interested in. Participants will meet and work with teens their own age, collaborate with other youth organizations and gain crucial skills in facilitating workshops, networking, public speaking, teamwork, environmental education, and community engagement.
If you or someone you know is interested, find out more details and complete your application here.
Individuals & Groups
Get in touch with volunteer staff at email@example.com for more information.
I want to volunteer. How do I get started?
- Check out the other tabs. Depending on your interests, follow the next steps listed.
How do I sign up a group to volunteer?
- Organize your event with our friendly volunteer staff. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 415-831-6330 at least three weeks in advance for groups of 5 or more, 5 weeks for large groups, and 3 months for groups of 100 or more.
Do I need experience to volunteer?
- No, the person leading your work day or group will provide you with everything you need to know. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable.
What should I bring to my volunteer day?
- Please review our volunteer guidelines HERE.
What if it is raining, does the program get canceled?
- Our programs work rain or shine. If a program is canceled, it should be reflected on our events calendar. If you would like to cancel a group due to weather, please contact the staff member you have scheduled the event with.
How do I get proof that I’ve volunteered?
- Your project leader can sign a volunteer hours form for your school or court-ordered service at the project site. Be sure to bring any paperwork you need signed.
- Thank you!