SF Rec and Park is looking to recruit a few Greenagers.
Are you a 9th or 10th grade student that lives in or attends a school in the southeast of San Francisco? Are you interested in being a youth leader and promoting park stewardship? Do you enjoy working with the community and want to have an active role as a youth leader and advocate for your neighborhood parks and rec centers? Do you enjoy breaking a sweat outdoors and getting your hands dirty? Then we want you to be part of the Greenagers Program.
What is a Greenager?
The San Francisco Recreation and Park Department and Port of San Francisco Greenagers, is a Youth Leadership Program under the umbrella of the Youth Stewardship Program. It offers teens, from the Southeast Side of San Francisco, a chance to play an important role in the community by improving our city’s green spaces and raising awareness. Greenagers work in various parks and open spaces throughout San Francisco, meet with various Rec and Park staff, community members and partners; create place-based projects and or projects based on issues they are interested in. Participants will meet and work with teens their own age, collaborate with other youth organizations and gain crucial skills in facilitating workshops, networking, public speaking, teamwork, environmental education, and community engagement.
Who can be a Greenager?
The Greenagers Program is looking for a group of motivated FRESHMEN and SOPHOMORES who live or attend high schools in the following San Francisco neighborhoods: Bayview, Bayview Heights, Crocker Amazon, Excelsior, Hunters Point, Mission Terrace, Outer Mission, Portola, Silver Terrace, and Visitacion Valley; and are willing to:
- meet every 1st, 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month from (8:30 a.m.-12:30/1 p.m.) for eight months
- advance skills in leadership, networking, teamwork and work experience
- interact with the community, park staff and other students to research and voice issues in the southeast community
- work in parks, outdoor open spaces, and recreation centers and can earn up to $100 a month, and have fun!
- Applications must be received no later than May 7, 2016 @ 5PM
Please print in ink or type. Send completed applications to Program Coordinator, Tracy Phan, no later than 5 p.m. on May 7, 2016, using one of the following methods:
- fax: (415) 831-2096 or (415) 661-1940
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line must read:“Greenagers App 2016 (insert your name)”
- in person/post: Attn. Tracy Phan, Volunteer Division, 501 Stanyan St., San Francisco, CA 94117
After you have completed the application and have sent it to one of the above locations by no later than May 7, 2016 at 5 p.m., we will call you for an interview based on your eligibility into the program.