SF Rec and Parks to Make Roadway Improvement in Golden Gate Park
SAN FRANCISCO – San Francisco Recreation and Park Department (RPD) is proceeding with roadway improvements on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive in Golden Gate Park as part of an effort to upgrade the condition and extend the life of park roadways. However, in order to make these improvements, the work will cause some inconvenience to park visitors in these areas during the work. Construction is scheduled to begin with curb ramp replacement in August, new roadway paving in September and continue into November.
Neighbors and Golden Gate Park users are being notified of specific scheduling and details of the work, and appropriate detour signage will be installed. Fortunately, the work has been divided into segments along Martin Luther King Jr. Drive to lessen the traffic impact in Golden Gate Park and the surrounding area during the work. RPD will take all reasonable measures to minimize the impact of construction activity on surrounding roadways and Golden Gate Park’s attractions, though some inconvenience is unavoidable. Visitors should expect periodic lane closures, detours, some dust, and parking restrictions during construction. If possible, visitors should use alternate routes during work in order to avoid delays.
Overall work hours will be from roughly 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. Appropriate signage will be posted in the area. Traffic routing with handouts available to park visitors will be used during the grinding and paving of the road segments.
The total cost of this roadway improvement project is about $2 million dollars. Funds for this project were obtained by grants through State-funded Proposition 40, which seeks to continue investment in state and urban parks. The work will include new curb ramps and pedestrian crossings, deep repair of poor condition paving, grinding of existing asphalt, roadway repaving, and new striping.
· 2011 Martin Luther King Drive Paving – September to November
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from Lincoln Avenue/9th Avenue to Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive – 9/26/11 to 9/28/11
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive to Crossover Drive – 10/3/11 to 10/5/11
· Stow Lake Drive (East and West) from John F. Kennedy Drive to Martin Luther King Jr. Drive – 10/10/11 to 10/14/11
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from 9th Avenue to Kezar Drive – 10/24/11 to 10/26/11
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from Kezar Drive to John F. Kennedy Drive – 10/31/11 to 11/2/11
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from Metson Road to Mallard Lake – 11/7/11 to 11/9/11
· Martin Luther King Jr. Drive from Mallard Lake to Crossover Drive – 11/14/11 to 11/16/11
Curb ramps and other auxiliary work will take place in advance of grinding and paving each segment and will have limited impact on traffic and parking.
RPD thanks neighbors and visitors for their patience as we work to improve the roadways in San Francisco’s beautiful Golden Gate Park, and apologizes in advance for any inconvenience.