The Park Emergency Aid Station is a one-story structure constructed in 1902 and located in the southeast corner of Golden Gate Park. The Aid
Station was originally served as a Department if Public Health emergency hospital from 1902 until 1978. It continued as an ambulance station until
1991, then as a construction office for Golden Gate Park Bond infrastructure projects. The Park Aid Station now serves as Recreation and Park
Department headquarters/offices for the Natural Areas and Volunteer Programs.
Improvements include seismic upgrades, ADA access improvements, HVAC and electrical upgrades, exterior stone restoration and paving,
window replacement, and reorganizing the interior spaces top better meet the program needs. The project will not alter the building exterior
This structure is San Francisco Landmark No. 201, and these improvements have been reviewed and approved by the Historic Preservation
Commission. A community meeting was held in December 2008. The Recreation and Park Commission approved the conceptual design for
renovation in February 2010.
- General Restoration and Repair Work – repairs include roofs, windows, wood trim and finishes, masonry, plaster cracks; painting and associated work.
- Code Upgrades – mechanical/plumbing/electrical systems.
- Seismic Improvements – conformance with the San Francisco UMB Ordinance; foundation work, installation of anchors and ties; structural strengthening for shear and tension resistance; and associated work.
- Hazardous Materials Abatement – lead paint and asbestos abatement.
- Disability Access Improvements – Including:
- Path of Travel – Ramp to the main level restroom