The Interior Greenbelt is located on Mt. Sutro, south of Golden Gate Park and north of Twin Peaks. This park is almost entirely covered by blue gum eucalyptus forest. Small remnant native plant populations exist here in the understory, including three locally sensitive plants species: sweet cicely, fairy bells, and thimbleberry. There is also an old creek bed that carries water through the park at times during the rainy season. This urban forest provides habitat for a variety of birds.
At one time Adolph Sutro owned one-twelfth of the acreage of San Francisco, including what is now Sutro Heights Park, the ruins of Sutro Baths, and Mt. Sutro. On Arbor Day in 1886, he brought schoolchildren to what was then called Mt. Parnassus to plant the hillside with eucalyptus, Monterey cypress, and Monterey pines. Today's Sutro Forest is only a small portion of the vast forestland Sutro created in the last 15 years of the 19th century. Pine, cypress, and eucalyptus trees were planted on Mt. Davidson (originally called Blue Mountain), in the Forest Hill and St. Francis Wood neighborhoods, and even as far south as Westwood Park, fronting Ocean Avenue.
The City and County of San Francisco purchased Interior Greenbelt open space for the public in the 1950′s, and envisioned it as part of a collection of natural lands that would connect to one another in the heart of the city, creating a continuous greenbelt. The Interior Greenbelt Park features the long hidden Woodland Creek, and a half mile of trail constructed during the 1880′s which leads to Mount Sutro. A newly restored historic trail links the park to Mount Sutro, which opens up a total of 72 acres of open space for the public. The Trails in this park are built on sturdy soil that climbs up a hill to join the Mount Sutro trail network. You can download a Mt. Sutro trail guide and map from Pease Press Cartography.
There are two entrances to the Interior Greenbelt park. One entrance is located at the end of Edgewood Avenue and the other is a staircase leading into the park near the intersection of Stanyan Street and 17th Avenue. The park can also be accessed from Medical Center Way from Mount Sutro Open Space. Street parking is available adjacent the park. Muni Rail line N-Judah and Muni line 37 stop near the park.
Twin Peaks Park is just under a mile walking distance from the Interior Greenbelt. To continue to Twin Peaks take Johnstone Drive to Clarendon Avenue. Continue East on Clarendon Avenue to the junction on Mountain Spring Avenue. Turn Right on to Mountain Spring Avenue and then take a right on to Twin Peaks Blvd.