McLaren Lodge

McLaren Lodge

Built in 1896, McLaren Lodge was the home of the park dpartment’s first superintendent, John McLaren, until 1943. McLaren Lodge is currently both the headquarters for the Recreation and Park Department and an interesting stop for architecture buffs, who often marvel at the intricate construction of the building’s Moorish-Gothic design, which includes exterior walls of 18-inch thick ashlar basalt masonry and sandstone quoins. McLaren Lodge is a registered San Francisco landmark (No. 175).

Location Map