GGP Horseshoe Pits

GGP Horseshoe Courts

Hidden away in the secluded northeast section of Golden Gate Park, the horseshoe court dates back to the 1920s, with hand-hewed rock, a raised arena, and concrete relief sculptures added in a 1934 project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Artist Jesse S. “Vet” Anderson, a member of the Golden Gate Horseshoe Club, created the reliefs, one of a horseshoe pitcher and the other of a horse; the latter has crumbled from its rocky bluff. Forgotten and overgrown for years, the court was cleared of vegetation and debris through volunteer efforts in 2009, and the San Francisco Horseshoe Pitching Club now hosts games, tournaments, and other events here.

Location Map