Designed by the Reid Brothers (who also designed the Fremont Hotel and the Cliff House), the 1901 building served as a depot for the San Mateo Railroad, and then later for all San Francisco’s rail lines. In 1985, the Car Barn was declared a San Francisco city landmark. Heavily damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, it was left to deteriorate. In 1998, the Car Barn faced demolition, which galvanized the community, who convinced Mayor Willie Brown to save the building. Ownership was transferred to the Department of Recreation and Parks in early 2004. In 2006, the Department completed a seismic retrofit to the structure which addresses some of the major concerns with the stability of the building. Most recently, The Friends of Geneva Car Barn are moving forward with a strategic plan that will address new programming and capital improvements.