SF Rec and Park is exploring the feasibility of offering horseback rides as a special recreational amenity in both Golden Gate Park and McLaren Park, similar to the experience we’ve provided at Camp Mather for decades. To evaluate the public’s interest and to gauge how this activity fits into the larger landscape of these parks, the same concessionaire who provides horseback rides at Camp Mather will be providing guided rides in Golden Gate Park and McLaren Park for a two-month period starting in late-March. During this period, we invite you to participate in a survey and provide your feedback below.
Weather permitting, the trial period runs through Saturday May 20, 2017.
- Golden Gate Park @ Bercut Equitation Field (Chain of Lakes Drive E, near JFK)
- 15 horses will be available at the Bercut Equitation Field for trail rides in Golden Gate Park (see map below). All rides are guided by professional wranglers.
- McLaren Park @ Louis Sutter Police Stables (entrance at University & Woolsey)
- 10 horses available at the Police Horse Stables for trail rides in McLaren Park (see map below). All rides are guided by professional wranglers.
Hours of Operation
- Days and hours of operations:
- 7 days a week, 8 am to 7 pm, weather permitting
- Please call the toll free number below for current availability 1-(844) 967-4653 or visit http://potagoldadventures.com/locations/san-francisco-california-pot-a-gold-stables/
Golden Gate Park
- 30 minutes:$40
- 60 minutes $60
- 90 minutes $80
- 30 minutes: $35
- 60 minutes $55
- 90 minutes $75
(25% discount for SF Residents- Must show valid I.D.)
Is there a weight limit?
In general, a horse can accommodate and carry a load of no more than 250 lbs.
Is there an age limit?
All riders must be 5 years old and up.
Can my child ride with me (doubles on a horse)?
No, doubles are not permitted for safety reasons.
What should I wear/bring?
A helmet is required (and will be provided by Pot A Gold Adventures). Long pants and close-toed shoes are recommended. Athletic shoes are not recommended and shoes with 1-1.5″ heel are ideal. Bring sunglasses, water, and sunscreen for the ride.
Can you accommodate large groups? How many?
As of now, we can accommodate up to 10 people at once for a trail ride. Please contact us directly for more information about large group accommodations.
Do we tip our horse wrangler?
Tips are welcome. Wranglers are thankful for any they receive.
Is there anything else we need to do before we come up for a ride?
Please click on this link to view the liability release form. Please print and bring the form with you at time of the scheduled ride.